Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Running around the Peloponnese, Day 4: Methoni Castle

This post is for my dear brother, because it was probably the first (and only) thing I've done in Greece that he would have enjoyed (other than eating):

Perhaps my favorite site was Methoni Castle, an awesome Venetian castle on the Ionian sea.
Things that made it awesome:
1) Winds so strong that they practically blew me over
2) I had the chance to scale actual castle walls
3) I was the only person in this castle after everyone else (or at least everyone within my sight) lost interest in playing in the castle. I contemplated ditching this whole "study abroad" thing and holing up in here for a while.





It was all mine...

Then we went to Pylos, had a little history lesson at the fort of Pylos about two major naval battles that happened at the port (one in the Peloponnesian War between Athens and Sparta, one in the war for Greek independence from the Ottomans). Then we were given the option of checking out the tiny museum on underwater archaeology. We were given a tour through the one-room exhibit by the head archaeologist of the site, who showed us artifacts found in various ancient shipwrecks and then casually told us that 15 days ago he had discovered  the remains of an underwater city dating back 5000 years. Atlantis anyone? Also, if we had been a week later, we would have been able to see these remains by means of scuba diving or a glassbottom boat!

Then we went to Nestor's Palace, another Mycenaean settlement. (Not photogenic enough to warrant any pictures, especially because I was at this point concerned that my camera battery would die before we hit the big guns of Olympia and Delphi)

No comments:

Post a Comment