Monday, July 5, 2010

teenie weenie



"Teenie Weenie" is incontestably my favorite Chinese store thus far. It's an apparently very popular girls' clothing store--someone must have figured out at some point, much to my disappointment, that it was not a proper label for boys' clothing, but even so it makes me chuckle. Another interesting find at the massive mall that we explored before heading to Fudan University (where my parents lived for the year that they were in Shanghai, and where my dad studied and my mom taught English) was Walmart, which my mom and I could certainly not pass up exploring. It was funny to see how much the same it was to an American Walmart--just with Chinese products.

At Fudan, we met up with Yilin and one of my mom's old English students. Her teaching had apparently had little lasting effect on him; he didn't speak much English, and the two of us communicated better in French, in fact. We had a light lunch--only 11 dishes. Everything from dofu (tofu) with crab meat, to imitation tofu (i had never heard of such a thing; most times tofu is the imitator, not the one being imitated. It had me fooled, that's for sure), to boiled chicken (it doesn't sound very appetizing, and had a yellowish appearance that was none too appetizing either, but it turned out to be quite good), to duck, to shrimp (whole shrimp, heads included), to stir-fried beet greens, to fish (a whole fish, head included. The fish signifies that the end of the meal is approaching), to spring rolls (which, along with dumplings, signify the meal has almost ended, watermelon being the official signal of completion). After having consumed all of this food, I collapsed with a stomach ache and spent the rest of the day in this state.

No comments:

Post a Comment